Thursday, September 1, 2011

Life......it's all about perspective.

It is so easy to focus on what we are going through and our problems. Who doesn't have a few problems that have to be dealt with?

Today was Salem Assembly's turn to help with the Salem Ministerial Alliance food pantry. That is where food is given to those who sign up for it. Today there was a large group of people. They are from all walks of life.

My responsibility along with four other men was to help carry the groceries out the the car. Reminds me of when I worked in a grocery store and was a carry out boy.

Many of the those receiving groceries could carry their own but many could not for whatever reason. One man told me that he was not feeling well and didn't know what was wrong. There were those with canes and walkers that needed help.

It only took about an hour to help around 140 get their groceries and when we were done I was thanking God for each one that was able to be ministered to. I was ministered to myself from helping.

Having had this surgery it was great just to be out helping others. It helps to keep the right perspective. As Christians we are on this earth to touch others and not just be concerned about ourselves and our problems or needs.

What is it like where you work, or where you shop, or anywhere you go? Those people that seem to be giving you problems could actually be an opportunity to show the love of God to them. Sometimes all a problem (person) needs is a little kindness shown to them.

We could all spend most of our time thinking about ourselves and what we are going through but if we keep the right perspective we can realize what we are facing is not all that bad when we see others that have needs as well.

There is a little song that we sang in Children's Church when I was growing up. It went like this.

J.O.Y., J.O.Y. This is what it means. Jesus first and yourself last and others in between.

I want to stay focused. Focused on what He wants me to do...not how I feel. Focused on ministering to others...not on my own needs. Helping others make it...not just wanting others to help me.

Well, it is perspective isn't it. It is all how you look at it. I remember hearing a preacher use this statement. "I used to complain about having no shoes until I met a man that had no feet".

Blessings,
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment