Monday, September 19, 2011

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

I am learning new things each day when it comes to talking and how to deal with the bumps in the road that try to obstruct moving forward.

It takes more time and effort right now to do what used to be just a few minutes but I am learning.

I know that my speaking will get better and clearer as I progress forward. The change will seem to be the norm after a period of time.

Speaking of change or new things that must be done in our lives; what new thing or change are you having to deal with right now in your life?

I realize that most of us do not embrace change overnight. I know there are exceptions to that but most of us like to hang on to the familiar.

Yet, if we are going to go forward there will always be changes taking place. Think about this. A newly married couple have to make changes when they get married, then when children come along more changes are made, then as the kids get older more changes, then when they move out more changes, then as their children get married that couple now have grandchildren and still more changes. I think you can see that there will always be something that changes.

So how can an "old dog" learn new tricks...

1. Don't fight the inevitable. If you need to change then change. I could fight learning how to speak in a new way and never learn or I can simply say, "This I must do", learn and move forward.

2. Embrace those things that need to change. That simply means to me that we need a right spirit when it comes to change. Don't begrudge it but embrace it.

3. Don't be intimidated by change. I know at first it was very difficult for me to try and talk in public. I felt embarrassed and very self conscious about it. One day, however, I made up my mind to just jump into it. This was how it was going to have to be right now so I decided I just have to do this regardless of how I felt. It really wasn't as bad as I thought.

4. Keep moving forward. The bible verse that I like so much when it comes to change and moving forward is this one: Philippians 3:13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it,* but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, NLT

I am sure there are other things that will help us but these four things have certainly helped me to make the changes I need to make.

What is it today that you are struggling with in the area of change and moving forward. I want to encourage you to look into the Bible for help and direction. Speak to someone that can help and encourage you with sound advice and then "Go Forward".

When Moses went to God for help when facing the Red Sea this was God's advice to him. Exodus 14:15 And the LORD said unto Moses, Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward:

When you think of what happened at that point (Red Sea split) it sure makes me to want to take God's advice.

I am an "old dog" but I am learning new things everyday.

Blessings,
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment